Connect with us

News

Boeing’s astronaut capsule on the ground for months due to valve problem

Published

on

Boeing's astronaut capsule on the ground for months due to valve problem

Boeing’s astronaut capsule was on the ground for months due to valve problem.

Officials from Boeing and NASA said Friday that the Starliner capsule will be removed from the top of its rocket and returned to its Kennedy Space Center hangar for more extensive repairs.

Starliner was about to take off on a repeat test flight to the International Space Station last week, with a dummy but no astronauts, when the problem arose. A similar capsule was plagued with software problems in 2019 that prevented it from reaching the space station.

“We are obviously disappointed,” said John Vollmer, vice president and program director of Boeing’s commercial crew program. “We will do this test when we are ready to do it and it is safe to do so.”

Kathy Lueders, director of NASA’s human exploration office, said it’s “another example of why these demonstration missions are so important to us … to make sure we have the system drained before we put our crews in.”

Boeing’s performance is in stark contrast to that of SpaceX, NASA’s other contracted taxi service. SpaceX has brought 10 astronauts to the space station in just over a year, with four more expected to launch aboard the company’s Dragon capsule in late October. Elon Musk’s company will mark another first next month when it launches a billionaire into orbit with three guests, two of them contest winners.

Vollmer said moisture in the air somehow infiltrated 13 valves in the pod’s propulsion system. That moisture combined with a corrosive fuel-burning chemical that had passed the seals, preventing the valves from opening as required before the Aug. 3 launch attempt.

As of Friday, nine of the valves had been repaired. The other four require more invasive work.

Rain from a heavy storm penetrated some of the capsule’s thrusters onto the platform, but engineers don’t believe it was the same moisture that caused the valves to stick. Engineers are trying to determine how and when the moisture arrived; it could have been during assembly or much later, Vollmer said.

The 13 in question are among dozens of valves that are connected to the thrusters needed to get the capsule into proper orbit and to the space station, and also to re-enter the atmosphere at the end of the flight. All the valves worked well five weeks earlier and worked well on the 2019 test flight, Vollmer said.

Vollmer said it is too early to know if the valves will need to be replaced or even redesigned. Aerojet Rocketdyne supplied the valves, along with the rest of the powertrain.

Given all the uncertainty, Vollmer was reluctant to say when Starliner might be ready for another launch attempt. Boeing will have to avoid traffic from other space stations, as well as a NASA asteroid mission to launch on the same type of rocket from the same platform in October.

Source

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Appeals court allows Texas to continue banning most abortions

Published

on

Appeals court allows Texas to continue banning most abortions

Appeals court allows Texas to continue banning most abortions.

AUSTIN, Texas – A federal appeals court is once again allowing Texas to continue to ban most abortions.

Thursday night’s decision keeps the law known as Senate Bill 8 in place as the Justice Department tries to stop the law.

The Biden administration is suing Texas over restrictions that prohibit abortions once heart activity is detected, usually around six weeks.

The US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has now allowed the law to proceed three times since August.

Texas law allows private citizens to collect at least $ 10,000 in damages if they file a successful lawsuit against an abortion provider who violates the restrictions.

Continue Reading

News

Lance Bass and her husband are now proud parents of twins

Published

on

Lance Bass and her husband are now proud parents of twins

Lance Bass and her husband are now proud parents of twins.

Lance Bass used to tour the world as a member of NSYNC, but now he has a very different life. Bass and her husband Michael Turchin are proud parents, news they were delighted to share with the world.

Bass and Turchin welcomed the twins to their family today, Violet Betty and Alexander James. The NSYNC singer was delighted that everyone knew about this joyous event through his Instagram account.

While calling his twins “baby dragons,” Lance Bass shared how incredibly happy he was and how much love he felt. Obviously, a lot of good wishes flooded the couple and he addressed them with gratitude as well.

The baby dragons have arrived !! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I can’t express how much love I feel right now. Thanks for all the kind wishes. It meant a lot. Now how do you change a diaper? Ahhhhhhhh!

The proud new parents got married in 2014 and announced that they were expecting twins in June via TikTok. This came after the family had a difficult surrogacy situation involving a miscarriage, multiple IVF treatments, and nine different donors. The ubiquitous COVID-19 pandemic didn’t help either.

Through all the adversity, Lance Bass and her husband Michael Turchin never gave up on their dream of becoming parents. Today, the 42-year-old former boy band member and her 34-year-old husband saw the fruits of all that hard work join their family.

Continue Reading

Business

Jay Z invests USD 19 million in company in cannabis products

Published

on

Jay Z invests USD 19 million in company in cannabis products

Jay Z invests USD 19 million in company in cannabis products.

Jay-Z is considered one of the most legendary rappers in the world of Hip-Hop. In addition to his musical prowess, Hov is also a smart businessman and is worth over a billion dollars for good reason. You also realize that people love to gamble.

Jay-Z was one of the names linked to the acquisition of the Denver Broncos from the NFL for a lucrative $ 4 billion. This would have made Jay-Z the first black owner of an NFL team.

Unfortunately, that ultimately didn’t happen, as Jay-Z was said to have no interest in investing that much money in the Denver Broncos in the first place. Instead, he decided to invest a lot of money in a smart home company.

Now it appears that the music mogul has decided to invest $ 19 million in payment company Flowhub as it is entering the marijuana industry alongside venture firms Headline and Poseidon.

Worth $ 200 million, Denver-based Flowhub helps cannabis dispensaries process payments and has raised a total of $ 50 million to date. While talking to Forbes, Flowhub founder and CEO Kyle Sherman spoke about Jay-Z’s investment in the business.

“When Jay says, ‘I’m not a businessman, I’m a businessman,’ it’s true. “He has incredible business acumen, he really knows how to surround himself with brilliant people and build great companies.

We are delighted to announce this capital increase. Headline is an incredible Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm, Poseidon is a pioneering investor in the cannabis industry, and JAY-Z is a global cultural and creative force no matter what industry they are involved in.

I couldn’t think of a better group to work with as we take this company to the next stage. This funding not only underscores the significant value that Flowhub offers to our clients, but also the maturation of the cannabis industry in general. We remain committed to developing innovative products that help our retail customers do better business. “

Jay-Z will continue to shine in whatever business endeavor he sets out to do and that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Continue Reading

Trending